Preferred Rug Fibers
The type of fiber used in a rug plays a key role in how it feels and how well it performs. Basically, there are two fiber types: natural and man-made. The predominant natural rug fiber is wool. Other natural materials such as silk, linen, sisal, jute and cotton are sometimes blended with wool. Due to modern technology, many rugs on today's market are made from synthetic fibers such as nylon, acrylic, polypropylene, viscose and polyester.
Wool is the most beautiful, luxurious, and durable of all the rug fibers. It is a natural fiber that is highly regarded for its strength, durability, crush resistance, cleanability, and comfort.
- Easy to Clean. Natural resilience to dirt and soiling make wools exceptionally easy to maintain. Wool is a non-allergenic fiber; it does not promote the growth of bacteria or dust mites, or give off harmful emissions. Wools are safe for your family.
- Strong and Durable. Woven technology ensures wools are incredibly durable and strong, creating products that last.
- Crush Resistant. Natural crimp gives wools built-in resilience to crushing. Furniture marks disappear when the fiber is gently moistened and allowed to recover naturally.
- Inherently Fire Safe. Naturally flame retardant, wools are difficult to ignite, do not melt, and are self-extinguishable.
- Resistant to Static. Wools do not suffer from static electricity build-up.
- Comfortable. Inherent substance and volume gives wools superior sound and heat insulating properties.
- Environmentally Friendly. Beauty and sustainability come naturally with the original eco-friendly fiber.
Visit Wools of New Zealand to learn more about this superior fiber.
Nylon, Acrylic, Olefin, Viscose, Polypropylene or Polyester
These man-made fibers offer a combination of richness and easy-care at an affordable price. Advancements in synthetic yarn technology have continued to develop amazing color clarity, colorfastness while maintaining crush resistance and stain protection.
- Easy to clean
- Family friendly
- Color fast
- Low maintenance
- Very affordable